I wanted to make a healthy dinner for my husband that was dairy-free so I can enjoy it and with a plant based protein incorporated. His favorite dinner I make is turkey tacos so I decided to modify some things for a healthier alternative. I added Tempeh, an organic soybean meat alternative with grains mixed in, and cauliflower as the turkey substitute. Halfway through his first taco my husband announced, “these are better than turkey tacos!” These tacos are easy to make, healthy, and all ingredient can be found at your local Trader Joe’s.
Ingredients: Tempeh + Cauliflower Tacos
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Three Grain Organic Tempeh
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (or bag of pre-cut)
- 1 can of diced green chilis
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 jar of red salsa
- 1/2 sweet onion
- Jalapeños (optional)
- 1 can pinto beans
- Trader Joe’s Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Store bought fresh guacamole (make sure to watch for preservatives and dairy if sensitive)
Ingredients: Creamy Coleslaw
- 2 cups Trader Joe’s Shredded Kale and Brussel Sprout Mix
- 2 limes (squeezed)
- 2 tbsp Vegenaise
- 1 jalapeños chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Mix Creamy Coleslaw ingredients and place in fridge
- Heat sauté pan on medium-high with 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add tempeh (cut into cubes), chopped onion, cauliflower florets, green chilis, a chopped jalapeno and sprinkle with half a packet of taco seasoning. Cook until soft.
- Turn stove to low-medium adding jar of salsa. Simmer for 10 minutes then keep on simmer.
- While simmering veggies, rinse and warm pinto beans stove top. Keep on low until warm, stirring so they don’t burn.
- Heat up tortilla in pan with butter – I used a dairy-free cashew butter from Miyoko’s (sold at Trader Joe’s).
- Pile warm tortilla with the tempeh and cauliflower mixture, pinto beans, Creamy Coleslaw, and guacamole.