Every time my husband and I go out to our favorite Thai restaurant, we have to start with spring rolls. They are refreshing from the crunchy veggies and pop of fresh herbs yet indulging from the creamy peanut sauce. I thought it would be fun to give it a whirl. It will now be a weekly staple at home! They are dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and delicious!
Before getting started using rice paper wraps read cooking instructions on package. Here is a quick outline what to expect and how to handle for best results:
The rice paper wraps come as a hard circle. You will cook them by warming a skillet on low until the water is cool enough to dip your fingers in but warm enough to soften wrap. Place wrap in (one at a time) for about 10-15 seconds. It will become soft. Lay on a damp towel and make wrap with desired ingredients immediately. Then set aside until made desired amount. Eat fresh. The rice wraps will harden when refrigerated.
Okay lets get started!!
Makes about 10 Rolls
All ingredients from my local Sprouts
- 1 package Greenland Rice Paper
- 1 package rice noodles
- Follow package directions to cook, set aside keeping wet in about a cup of cold water to prevent sticking
- Package sizes vary, only need about 2 cups of noodles (I used my extra to add to a veggie curry)
- 1 jar Sky Valley Peanut Sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 organic cucumber
- Cut into long slices
- Fresh herbs – basil, cilantro, mint
- Use what you have on hand!
- 2 limes
- Head romaine
- Wash, prepare into long 4 in pieces, use crunchy leaves
- 2 ripe hass avocado
- Cut into long slices
- 1 jalapeno optional
- Cook rice noodles, set aside in fresh cold water, just enough to stay wet to prevent sticking
- Prepare and wash vegetables so they are ready to be placed into wraps
- Warm skillet to make rice wraps one at a time see notes above
- Once you have made a rice wrap place on top of a damp towel to prevent sticking
- Start assembling wrap with romaine lettuce as the spine, top with carrots, cabbage, red cabbage, sprouts, cucumber, avocado, rice noodles, sliced jalapeños, fresh herbs and squeeze lime juice all over
- Wrap top and bottom of wrap in and roll as tight and careful as possible
- Make desired amount
- Eat fresh and dip into peanut sauce!